Thursday, January 27, 2011

Get Kinected

As I was sitting about, pondering what I should write about in my blog this week, my darling roommate walked into the apartment with a new XBox Kinect. Let's just say that this made the decision an easy one! After my recent post about New Years Resolution, I had been thinking about fun ways to start being more active. Luckily for me, Sarah's new toy made that all too easy!

_DSC0005

Unlike days of the past, when playing video games meant sinking deeper and deeper into a human-shaped hole on the couch, getting into the game is now a physical activity. Unlike other movement based game consoles that require a controller, the Kinect uses your body's movements for game play. This innovation has led to fun (and exhausting) games including Dance Central, Zumba, Kinect Sports and even various "personal fitness" games.

You're probably wondering what this might have to do with living in the residence halls. This is, surprisingly, an easy answer! While I know not everyone is into video games, playing the Kinect made me realize just how much of a routine college students fall into. We go to class, we work out, we go to meetings, and then we go home and stare at our computer screens for hours. Even when I'm hanging out with my friends in the residence halls, I find that we often just put on a movie and play on our computers. Over the last few weeks, I've come to feel dissatisfied with this system of same old same old, and it made me start to think about new ways to have fun with friends, even when the chilly weather keeps you indoors!

_DSC0006

Break Out the Board Games
If you're hanging out on a Sunday evening with nothing to do, break out a board game! Monopoly can be a bit slow, but some quick moving games can be a riot. Telephone pictionary (which can be played without a physical game!) and Catchphrase are two of my absolute favorites.

_DSC0002

Ask A Couple Questions
With a quick internet search or for a few dollars at your local bookstore, you can find a list (or book) of funny questions to get conversations rolling.

_DSC0009

Make A Feast
Maybe not a feast, but try making food with friends! The residence halls have kitchens that you can use to cook, and while it's impractical to try and make meals on a daily basis, they're great to use every now and then. One Christmas I made twelve batches of Christmas cookies to give to friends and family! If you get together with your friends, you can make a dessert or even a full meal to share.

_DSC0007

These are only a few ideas of how to break the bad college student habit of sinking into the couch, but I am sure that you can come up with some of your own! Get creative, do something everyone will enjoy and put the computer away!

No comments:

Post a Comment