Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Year's Resolutions with RPS

It's a new year, and with it comes the gaggle of New Year's Resolutions. "I want to get out more," "I want to lose weight," and "I want to get in shape" are the ones I most commonly hear. Luckily, Residential Programs and Services can help!

"I want to get out more!"
Good for you! College won't be any fun if you sit in your dorm room all day. Luckily, there are a lot of programs offered through RPS in your residence hall on a weekly basis. I've gone to formal dances, root beer keg parties, movie screenings, ceramics painting workshops... the list goes on and on. When you move into your residence hall, you'll be bombarded with opportunities to socialize, so take advantage of them!

"I want to lose weight."
This one can be a toughie... I know from experience. The dining halls claim to have healthy options, but you can only eat salad bar and sandwiches so many times and if you're not careful you'll wind up eating poorly simply out of a desire to try something else! Luckily, if you plan well, you can have flexible dining options! The best tool to use when deciding what to eat is the NetNutrition system RPS offers to students. It helps you track the calories in the food you eat on campus. You can find it here!

"I want to get in shape."
This one is a personal favorite for me. There are two gyms on campus, the HPER and the SRSC, where students can go to work out or to take exercise classes. However, it can sometimes be difficult to get there when it's cold outside or when you're in a rush. Luckily, RPS offers fitness rooms and equipment in a few of the residence halls on campus. These are a great resource to use for a quick workout in between classes or before bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment