Thursday, October 14, 2010

Adventures at the Covered Bridge Festival

This past weekend, I went home to visit my mom and to go explore the culinary wonders of the Covered Bridge Festival in Putnam County. Every year my mom and I go to walk around the festival, spend more money than we should on anything from specialty chip dips to personalized photo frames and eat/buy the amazing kinds of food you can't get anywhere else. It always proves to be a great time.


As usual, the food was FANTASTIC and I was inspired by all of the delicious sights and smells. Everything from Wisconsin sausage, freshly-made donuts (with cinnamon), pumpkin rolls, whoopie pies, funnel cakes and butterfly chips delighted my sense of smell and tempted to empty my wallet. Luckily, my mom was able to keep me moving through the festival.

There were so many delicious foods to choose from!

Of course, there was more than food to choose from. Vendors sold everything from cow slippers to homemade crafts. I admit, I spent a lot of time picking out early Christmas gifts. Unfortunately, these little guys only came in child sizes:

Why don't these come in adult sizes?!

As fun as shopping at the fair was, my TRUE mission was to explore the culinary options and report back to Sarah for future dinner/event ideas. If I wanted to eat this week, I had to bring her back some ingredients and thoughts on new desserts or specialty foods we hadn't yet thought of making to celebrate the fall.

And look what I found! Whoopie pies!

Luckily enough, inspiration struck time and time again. I purchased local honey, Wisconsin sausage and homemade apple butter for Sarah and also brought back a number of ideas for Fall Fun. Pumpkin rolls are a FANTASTIC fall tradition in Indiana, but they can be difficult to make. A simple solution were these adorable Pumpkin Whoopie Pies I found. We're going to modify this pumpkin roll recipe to try and make our own: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pumpkin-roll-i/Detail.aspx. I bought two boxes of the pies, and we've been delighted by them so far. Hurray for culinary adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Dah-ling, no need to modify! Rachel Ray has you covered! And they're fan-freaking-tastic. I'm making them tomorrow!

    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/sweet-spot-dessert-recipes/Pumpkin-Whoopie-Pies

    ...and all that food makes me miss home. Especially apple butter. *Sigh*
    -Abby

    ReplyDelete