Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ashley's Room Decorating Tips

So you’ve FINALLY moved into your new dorm room, you’ve put your sheets on your bed and your clothes are put away in the closet. You’re settled in to your new home... your new home with big, blank white walls. While it might not seem like a big deal, decorating your dorm room is one of the major challenges you’ll face when you arrive at college--and it can be more complicated than it seems. I have moved in and out of dorm rooms SEVENTEEN times, so I’ve gotten pretty proficient at decorating. Here are a few tips to make the creative process and the actual chore of decorating easier, and give you a dorm room you can be proud of!

Overall Appearance

1. 3M is your friend. Sticky tack may seem like a better option because it’s cheaper, but it has a tendency to stain the walls and not hold up what it’s intended to hold. If you’re putting up something small like individual photos, that should be fine, but for big posters invest in mounting tape.

2. Be 3-D. A lot of dorm rooms suffer from “flat wall” syndrome. Posters add color, but other objects (including anything from bulletin boards to kites) can add dimension and texture to the room.

Theme Park Theme

3. Get personal. While I have up a lot of purchased posters, my walls are also covered with more personal items. Four-by-six photo prints are a great decorating tool. Because of their size, they’re fun to tile and can fit into any available space, and if you pay attention to sale ads you can get them for as little as 10 cents a picture. I also have a section of my room devoted entirely to theme park maps from my adventures over the summer.

4. Use empty space. Have a free spot at the top of your dresser? Put something meaningful there. Your favorite football, cards from friends and family members or even (as in my case) stuffed animals can add personality to the room.

Fuzzy Friends

5. Keep it cheap. Poster sales at your school or stores in town can be tempting, but the best deals are online. If you become a member of a poster company’s website, you’ll receive incredible coupons and deals. At the beginning of this year, my roommate and I purchased 11 full-size posters for only 50 dollars (I recommend allposters.com, but each person has their own preference).

6. Utilize the ceiling. Remember when I mentioned 3M? They also sell hooks that can be attached to the walls and not leave a mark when it needs to be removed. This can allow you to get as creative as you’d like to be! At the moment I have kites and a Japanese parasol hung on my ceiling but in the past I’ve hung up flags, shawls, and nets. You can also put posters and photos on the ceiling. Don’t be afraid to use ALL of your space, just be careful when trying to put decorations up there.

Sleepy Space

7. Be aware of color. Be sure to think before you hang up a clump of big posters or other objects. Last year, I spent three hours decorating my room before realizing that I had put all of my dark posters in one corner, creating a black hole effect. The rest of my room was bright and colorful, but the cluster of darkness never failed to draw my eye upon first entering the room. Have a plan before you start throwing things up on the walls, and you’ll love the results!

8. Make it cozy! Surround yourself (and your workspace) with things that will make you feel good but won't distract you. I display buttons I got during my adventures in Disney World over the summer, a photo of my boyfriend and myself and a few trinkets I've collected over the years on my desk. Whenever I'm stressed I can simply look up and see any number of things that will make me smile.

Cozy Workspace

9. Don’t take it too seriously. When decorating, just have fun! Remember that your room has to please YOU and no one else. Don’t stress out or be a perfectionist. If you mess up, you can always start again or just start anew the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment